Jill's Crumbs

WELCOME to this on-line journal of my thoughts and of the events of our lives written for my children, near and far. And now featuring the work-in-progress curriculum guide for the Titus 2 Institute.

Name:
Location: Catonsville, Maryland

Thursday, December 15, 2005

A Rose is a Rose is a Rose....

A male elephant is called a bull. A female elephant is a cow. This holds true for a number of other animals, too. If, however, you were referring to any elephant in general you would call it---an elephant.

Now, regarding the animals we commonly call cows, what kind of animal are they anyway? There are (plural) beef cattle and milk cattle--both cows and bulls. But what is the singular of cattle?

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:41 AM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:42 AM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

Mom, I figured this out for you.

I don't know why I am writing this, becuase you are sitting right here, but here's the answer.

There is no universally accepted term for a single cow/bull of indeterminate sex (though I hope that's not a problem) but several scientists have resorted to calling the individual animal a catron-unit: a member of the cattle herd.

There you go: CATRON-UNIT.

11:43 AM  
Blogger mom said...

Thanks Jon.
Can you break down the etymology of this word for me? I'm assuming the "cat" is for cattle, the "unit" is clearly a designation for a single individual (is that redundant?), but I'm unclear of the origin of "ron" in this usage.
Thank you in advance for your clarification.

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home