Jill's Crumbs

WELCOME to this on-line journal of my thoughts and of the events of our lives written for my children, near and far. And now featuring the work-in-progress curriculum guide for the Titus 2 Institute.

Name:
Location: Catonsville, Maryland

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

School Schedule

I was just browsing on Mrs. Johnson's blog, saw her curricula choices for this year, and thought someone might like to see what we are studying at Covenant Academy this year.

William and Jesse get up at 6:50 with time to get dressed, make beds, and maybe eat breakfast before taking Elisabeth to the Benners' at 7. On the way home from the Benners' we've been listening to a Geography CD, learning the states and their capitals.

After Morning Prayer for families and a reading from the Gospel accounts--we've started with Matthew--we have Family Reading. We just finished The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. We'll continue through the rest of the Narnia Chronicles and probably go to The Hobbit from there.

15 minutes of math instruction for each boy come next [Saxon 76 for William and 54 for Jesse], followed by Shurley Grammar--the 5th grade level. (Time to complete math assignments is scheduled later in the day.) We're using Latin for Children, Book A for both boys. This is a review for William, who did the first half of Book B last year, but it is the essential starting place for Jesse. I have the Latin reader (Libellus) that corresponds with their history, too.

I made a recitation booklet that contains math, grammar, a 5 page Latin chant, the History and Bible songs plus pop-ups I wrote for each, and a number of other poems and documents related to American history I want them to memorize. We sing and chant for about 15 minutes before studying our History and Bible. I'm using the Veritas program that presents history in chronological order from Ancient Egypt in 2nd grade through Modern American in 6th. Both Jesse and William are studying American History: 1450-1815. We'll be doing a lot of field trips in this Revolutionary War/War of 1812-rich area of the country, and will use other, primarily library, resources. The Bible curriculum is also chronological. We are studying the Life of Christ through the Gospel accounts.

We're using the Excellence in Writing curriculum, which I worked on modifying this past summer for the needs of St. Stephen's. We outline our history cards and then rewrite and improve them. Will and Jesse will each also write a research paper on a famous American Founding Father later in the year, and we'll do some creative children's story writing, too. In addition, back by popular demand, writing and drawing-for-the-brothers-who-no-longer-live-at-home will be a feature of our writing curriculum.

Most of the required reading for the boys will supplement the history we're studying. They'll read Johnny Tremain, The Witch of Blackbird Pond, and Seaman--a story of the dog who accompanied Lewis and Clark on their expedition, among other books.

Science may not be on the agenda this year. What science we do may be tied to drawing-from- nature--which I hope to do in Indiana. William and Jesse are enrolled in weekly P.E. classes, and each one is on a rec soccer team, too.

I don't envision any co-ops in our near future. For now, we're enjoying a slower pace and very flexible schedule.

3 Comments:

Blogger Benjamin Crum said...

Mom, I am currently reading through a series of novels by Patrick O'Brian centered around the British navy during the Napoleonic wars. I have found it very helpful in my understanding of American History to see what was going on in other parts of the world. Not sure this was ever covered in any American History class I took, thought you might want to look into it.

I recently did some background reading on the war of 1812 and the other 'world wars' of the time on Wikipedia and found it very insightful, thought William especially might like to read more about the bigger picture (not that he should read O'Brian or that you can trust everything on Wikipedia).

9:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was pleasantly surprised to note that you had visited my blog and imagine my surprise when my name popped up on yours. Seeing what others are studying is often helpful to other homeschooling moms, even those of us in our 17th year. I find every child to be different and so each year plans and curriculum change. Oh joy...

We would love to do nature journals with you all if and when you visit IN.
Blessings, Kim

1:26 AM  
Blogger mom said...

I've recently read Northwest Passage by Kenneth Roberts. It is set in the time of the French and Indian Wars, and highlights the exploits of Roger's Rangers. It was fascinating. I discovered our local library doesn't have any of Roberts' books--early 20th century--so I'll have to get others on Amazon, I guess. I find I get more out of a well-researched, well-written historical novel than I do out of many history books, particularly textbooks.

2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home