Jill's Crumbs

WELCOME to this on-line journal of my thoughts and of the events of our lives written for my children, near and far. And now featuring the work-in-progress curriculum guide for the Titus 2 Institute.

Name:
Location: Catonsville, Maryland

Monday, September 08, 2008

Unexpected Turn

Our lives have taken an unexpected turn in the past month. Blithly, I had spent a good deal of time and energy this summer preparing for this school year. I attended a classical education conference in Lancaster, PA, I took a three-week Latin class, I wrote lesson plans and a curriculum guide. My goal was to finish my preparations before going on vacation in August, and I met that goal. Then, just a day after arriving at my cousins' family reunion, and less than two weeks before teachers were to report for work, I got a call from the headmaster. St. Stephen's is in financial straits and I was being called upon to help. I was presented with the options of staying on full-time at a significant cut in pay, teaching half-time (also with a pay cut) or not teaching at all. The short version of what followed is--although I was willing, and even enthusiastic, about the prospect of working half-time, the pay would barely cover my expenses, so I resigned.

Although the school board had offered to allow each of the children to remain at the school, tuition-free, this did not seem to be the best choice. So, Stephen has been enrolled at Catonsville High. He finished his first week of school there and seems to be settling into that routine nicely. Elisabeth is at St. Stephen's, commuting with the Benners. William and Jesse are being homeschooled. The preparations I did for the classroom are serving me well for teaching the boys at home. The loss of income has me worried--and I do constantly remind myself that I shouldn't be, but that's the reason I'm up at this hour writing on my blog--but I'm also very content and happy to be busy at home again.

3 Comments:

Blogger Benjamin Crum said...

Not to put too much pressure on your home-schooling... but... can you assign Will and Jesse to write us letters/draw us pictures again? That really made my week each time I got something in the mail (I'll even scan and post any picture they send).

While I know this has thrown off the plans you made, I am very glad to know that you are able to be home with the youngsters, home when Stephen and Jill get home from school and that you'll be able to take some "time off" to come out here when our baby is born.

I love you Mom.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Matthew R. Crum said...

"Meow meow meow meow meowwww! Meow meow, meow meow meow meow meow. Meow meow meow meow. Meow!!!"

(Crumpet called me last week while she was watching the Gator game and we chatted for a bit. She likes having Mom home for the cuddle time but wishes William would go back to St. Stephen's, and I quote, "Please tell William to leave me alone for five minutes!!!")

4:24 PM  
Blogger mom said...

Ben,
Thanks for the reminder of things past. It has helped me to remember that I do not need to carry on William and Jesse's education as if they were still at St. Stephen's. Today we put away the spelling books (not that spelling doesn't matter--however, I have yet to be convinced that studying random lists improves the spelling of poor spellers). We will focus on the skills I believe they need to develop most--reading, (w)riting, and 'rithmatic, plus thinking (hence Latin). Downplaying the content of other subjects (history, primarily) and learning many things incrementally by recitation in small doses will give us more time to spend on drawing and writing to our brothers.
So, thanks to Ben, you should be hearing from us all more regularly.

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home